Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pre-Surgery

I was so excited to be faced with an option of losing weight that would help me! I had tried a lot of self diets, Richard Simmons, TOPS, weight watchers at home, working out with friends, etc. NOTHING worked!! I saw the Lapband as my answer! The best answer I had ever found!

I have family members who have had the gastric bypass surgery. I knew about that surgery. The lapband is so much a better option in my opinion. I love the fact that if there are problems (always a possibility however small) the band can be removed and my body is as it should be! All the body parts as they were- nothing cut, nothing removed. And the part that helps me lose weight- is adjustable!!! Changed as my body changes.... used the way my body needs it! No dumping syndrome, and I can drink water!! YAHOOO! I love my water! I know many gastric bypass patients, and they have to sip their water!! I don't have to sip my water usually- there are days but most often I get my water in easily!

So the program I participated in was pretty good. I went to a seminar and learned about the pros and cons (the pros definitely weighed heavier!!- the cons were nothing for me to worry about). Then it was on to the process- I saw the dr, I did a psych eval (and PASSED!), saw the various people they have you visit with- dietician, physical therapy, respiratory therapy, and of course I had to face those darned dreaded scales!!! 244!!!

Everything was approved, and I started a 700 calories a day diet - dr approved- for the two weeks before the surgery! I lost 17 pounds in that time! Someone asked me how come I couldn't just do that and lose the weight instead of surgery! HAVE YOU EVER EATEN 700 CALORIES A DAY FOR TWO WEEKS!!!????? UGH it is physically draining!! Which is WHY you can't just do that and survive. Once you get to your goal weight (if you did survive) you will be rather sick and go back to eating cause you made your goal and go RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING!!! It is a vicious ugly cycle we put ourselves on and for whatever reason we don't learn our lesson!

OH things I had to learn to live without- bread! rice! drinking during a meal!!! WOW I was worried- those are things that I knew would be so hard on me!!! You know what- don't really miss it! I did it! I left them behind! It has been worth it!!! But I was so worried about the bread and drinking at meal time that I started to work on those things from the first moment I learned of it!! (Ok not the first moment!- after that first appointment I went to Golden Corral and of course enjoyed some of those wonderful delicious dinner rolls!!! YUMMMMMmmmmMMM) Ok sorry- lost my head for a minute!! I don't miss those to often either. =)

Well, it is time for me to head to the support group and since I am in charge- I better not be late. Next I will take you through the surgery day! Think I will go through my journal I kept back then so I can share my thoughts from then as well.

Until I blog again.....

No comments: