Thursday, November 20, 2008

The beginning

The heaviest I ever remember seeing the scales hit was 275. I am sure I weighed more at one time but I don't remember weighing after seeing that horrifying number! I started gaining weight in late jr high. Reasons? I suffered migraines that kept me from being physically active, I found freedom in choosing and buying food at school (own money), I became a teenager who ate her feelings.

I met my husband just out of high school. I weighed 200 plus at this time and was a single mom. He loved me for me though, and I am thankful for that. We went on to have a second child and adopt four others. My weight piled on as I stayed at home to take care of the kids - they are very close in age so I stayed very busy - too busy to tend to myself (not that I would have really - but excuses are nice).

We moved from Illinois to Idaho, and I lost 30 pounds pretty quick and that was it. I hovered around 250 for years. I ate out of boredom, depression, stress, anger, and I was a midnight grazer. I would get up in the middle of the night (bathroom break- didn't sleep well ever) and I would almost always stop at the fridge- okay- I would go out of my way to get to the fridge- it really wasn't a stopping point from my bed to the bathroom! It was an addiction- a habit. Horrible and deadly....

I tried everything I could afford. Eat healthier, Richard Simmons videos (your giggle here) but that's what I had, and they really weren't THAT bad! I struggled- like most people - when I tried to lose weight. I would get so excited when I lost two pounds in three weeks! Then I would think about how long it would take to lose the rest and that was it. TOO LONG! TOO HARD!

So 5 years ago- my husband lost his job- laid off- and with an amazing benefit! We were sent to school! Paid for! downfall? We had to drive an hour and a half one way every day to go! BUT we did it- of course what did we eat... fast food. So no weight loss going on there- However- I got a great job at the local hospital.

How does that fit in to my story of Lapbanding? Well, in 2006 our Human Resource person pushed to get our insurance to pay for weight loss surgery! Where the insurance wouldn't cover anything for weight loss! Hello? don't they know it is a disease!? ANYWAY- She told me she was working at it, and I called my husband. I said "I am having surgery ASAP" I told him about the lapband, and that night he saw a commercial for the first time about the same surgery! Jan 2007 our insurance started covering the lapband. Not great coverage but enough.

I didn't just jump into the surgery- I researched all that I could. I compared the surgery with past weight loss surgery options and the popular gastric bypass. This was a wonderful option! For many many reasons! I saw the Dr in January and had my surgery set for Feb. 22 (just after my birthday!!)

I hope that this blog will help others decide whether or not this surgery is for them, make them comfortable in the fact that they are not alone in this battle against weight, and find a little humor in life. I intend to post more of what I learned about myself, weight, people, and share the experiences I have had. Most people laugh at my shadow dancing! Which I will share with you in the future!

Until I blog again....

No comments: