Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New adventures

Well, let's see - since the beginning of the year my husband and I have been to the gym several times. We attended our first spinning class. Everyone know what that is? It is a 45 minute class on bikes- not the typical exercise bike- this is totally self powered! If you watch Biggest Loser, you have seen these bikes! I have watched contestants and thought to myself "NO WAY!"

So we attended a class. It was a butt kicker! I couldn't do all the stand up parts. It was hard on my knees, BUT I survived. I even went and lifted some weights then walked half a mile on the treadmill. After that class I dropped a few pounds right away. then stayed at that loss all week! So I decided to go to spinning class again. It wasn't as bad. I did the whole program just as it was! I did all the standing up and everything! I was very pleased with this. And since I have gained 3 pounds!

I am okay with this. I know that I have been pushing my body the last couple of weeks. I am sure I am working on building more muscle. So the plan is to just keep plugging away and not get frustrated. Not always easy to do- especially when my husband is dropping pounds quickly! I am so proud of him though. He is working hard and doing great! It won't be long before he is to his goal.


The other new adventure- we have recently learned about geocaching. This seems like such a great adventure- a neat family activity that we can do with the kids even when they leave the house to go to college or get married...We are really excited and talked about how if we get into this that we will get cross country skiis to go hiking in. Well, someone suggested snow shoes instead for the winter time. So we took our wal-mart gift cards from Christmas and ordered snow shoes from sam's club. We got them Saturday.

Sunday after I got home from work we had limited time before it got dark outside so we just went up to the orchard above our house. I used the trekking poles for balance and for arm work. Let me tell you! I LOVED IT!!! It was a wonderful walk! If you have ever walked in the deeper snow- you know that it is hard and tiring- the snow shoes makes it easier! We walked down the road that is closed in the winter. As we were walking though- we noticed it was getting darker, it was snowing in the mountains ahead of us, and the animal tracks we walked next to was a big topic of discussion! We finally decided it was mountain lion tracks! So with this combination of factors we didn't go very far. We walked just over a mile round trip! But it was a blast!! I can't wait until Saturday- we are going to go out early and hike all the way up to the orchard!! (we will be taking something to protect ourselves with incase that mountian lion is lurking about though!!)

It is the start of a new year. I have no new years resolutions except that losing weight will not be on my list of resolutions ever again! But I guess if I were to make one right now- it would be to try the things I never tried before because of my weight. Some of the things I never tried-I cheated myself out of. I could have done so much more even with the weight but I let what people might think stop me. I let what I thought stop me. I could have done several of the things I passed up- okay maybe not easily for some of them but I could have done it! So here goes nothing! I have shattered my comfort zone- I don't know what my comfort zone is anymore- which is really a great thing! My goals for the year- do the things I wanted to try but never did!

January- spinning class never thought I would survive and I have done two classes!!
Snow Shoeing (winter outdoors) - I love it! I can't wait to go out again!!! I am a little worried what the mountain lion is thinking of me but otherwise- I love it!! I intend to do a lot of snow shoeing! Now I just have to figure out a way to take my special needs son out with me- he loves the outdoors! He would love to go with us!

So my challenge to you is to try something new! Leave your comfort zone. Don't be afraid- don't let anything stop you! Try what you want to try-

until I blog again.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe I loved your most resent blog. I liked the snow shoeing as well and can't wait to go again. You are a great motivator to me and a great example thanks for your support and keep up the hard work it will pay off for you soon.
Love ya lots Ty